Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Are You There Domino? It's Me Jessy



Perhaps its irony or a cruel joke God is playing on me but what are the chances that I move into my new house the very same day my absolutely favorite shelter magazine-or any periodical for that matter shutters its doors. For the past three years I have greeted each new issue like a meth addict handles his pipe, hands shaking in gleeful anticipation of what I was about to experience. How am I going to find the inspiration to decorate my 8+ empty rooms without the guidance of my décor bible?

Thank God I have saved every issue-much to the chagrin of Alex who had to pack them up in NY, move them to Providence and then again to the new house. While the rest of my stuff is in complete disarray-I couldn’t even find the kettle to boil water this morning, they are lovingly stacked in chronological order on the bookshelf in my office. A good friend suggested I read only one old issue a month and hopefully if I’ve consumed enough wine (which shouldn’t be a problem) the magazine will seem like new to me. Or perhaps I could post one copy in the mail to myself every 30 days…we shall see.

For six plus years I lived with mismatched furniture, a bedroom overflowing with all of my life possessions, and stark renter’s white walls dreaming of the day that I would have my own house to renovate. Now the time has come and I am lost without my muse of a magazine. Until then I will try to make due with House Beautiful, Dwell and Living Etc but who am I kidding it just won’t be the same.

1 comment:

  1. It's just not fair! Domino is going to be very missed, but I love your idea to send yourself old copies. Maybe you should get Alex to do it though...then you can really trick yourself.

    ReplyDelete