Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Room Of One's Own


A very wise woman (okay my mom) gave me some sage advice when I moved into my house. Decorate one room completely right off the bat. That way no matter what disarray you find in the other hundred corners you will have one place that is neat, clean, relaxing and done. While my first instinct is always to do the opposite of what my mother tells me (though 99% of the time she is right) this time I listened and I am so glad I did. The picture above is my inspiration for my living room. The combination of celery green textiles, crisp blue walls, tarnished gold accents and bare wooden floorboards sums up my favorite aesthetics to a T.

Unfortunately my bank account has taken a severe battering since I signed over my life and three unborn children to the mortgage company but thanks to local antique shops, heavenly Homegoods, some beautiful original crown molding, an amazing paint job by my father, and a hodgepodge of home accessories I’ve acquired over the years it all came together perfect storm style and I couldn’t be happier. So next time I bump into a freshly painted wall with my new J Crew tulip coat on or the pipes burst again in the laundry room, I can just dash into my little celery green nest and wish away the badness lurking on the other side of the Dutch door. A sampling of pictures can be found below. Obviously we have a long way to go but it's finally coming together...










2 comments: